They got me right in a room and checked me pretty quick, I was to a 3+ not quite a 4 and 100% but my water sac was bulging and they were afraid it was going to break at any moment. With needing at least 4 hours to get the IV of medicine for the strep B that I was positive the nurse checked with the doctor and decided they were going to keep me this time. I was so excited/relieved/happy. Devin looked at me and smiled and said "I knew this time was different, you should have just listened to me all the other times" thanks babe. :) We walked the halls for a little while and I got a birthing ball to bounce on for a little bit. We informed everyone that today was finally the day, watched a little TV, talked, and just tried to relax.
Around 3 they came and checked me again and I was to a 7 (are you kidding me!?) I think that was when it finally kicked in with me that this was going to happen today. With both my girls I went from a 7-10 pretty quick so I was nervous. The anesthesiologist came in for the epidural and was amazing. Within 5 minutes the epidural was done and I was feeling great. It was a little strange cause with both girls with the epidural I could still move my legs a little bit but just had no pain, however with this one my legs were dead, I couldn't even move my toes. After the epidural the doctor came in and broke my water, we figured it would go fast from here. Devin's step mom Cathy, his step sister Kaylynn and his niece all showed up. We talked and laughed, and were just excited for what was about to happen. They were having a hard time getting the baby's heartbeat and the contractions weren't showing up as strong so they did an internal monitor for both of those and gave me catheter around 4 they checked me again and I was still the same which was so strange to me, with Grace I literally took 15 minutes to go from a 7-10 once they broke my water. They came back another half an hour later and checked again, still the same. By this time it was close to 5:00 pm I was finally getting a little movement in my legs and they started to turn me on my side to see if that would help progress things. At 6 I was still the same a 7 and the baby was still high, at this point the baby's heart rate started dropping with each contraction as well. It was a little scary to hear that heartbeat get so low and at one point even went down to less than 50 BPM but as soon as the contraction was done the heartbeat would go right back up and he would be fine. The sweet doctor came into my room and sat there for over an hour watching the contractions/heartbeat and talking about the next options. They started checking me almost every 15 minutes to see if that would help things progress, and nothing was working. Still at a 7 for over 4 hours now.
The doctor brought up a C-section, now I had thought about lots of ways this little boy was going to make his entrance into the world and I have to say C-section never crossed my mind. I had such an easy delivery with both girls and figured if anything he would be born in the car or really quickly at the hospital. I knew at this point that a C-section was probably the best option as the heart rate wasn't improving and I wasn't progressing. The preparation started and it went really quick. Next thing I knew Dev was getting his scrubs on, I was being wheeled down the hallway into the surgery room, transferred onto the platform, the anesthesiologist was back and giving me a higher/stronger dose, and tons of nurses were all over the room preparing different things. I have to say I didn't think I had time for nerves to get the best of me but I did shed a few tears being wheeled into the room.
I got the epidural shakes really bad and my whole body was shaking so much/fast. The anesthesiologist was the best and talked me through everything explained exactly what he was doing, that the shakes were very common, gave me warm blankets to put on my arms (since they were the only things I could feel) and even got a tube of warm air that I held onto under the blankets to help calm the shaking down. Devin was next to me and next thing I know the curtain went up between me and the doctor, the anesthesiologist had a cold stick (I'm sure that's not what is was but what it looked like/reminded me of) that he had me feel on my arms that yes I could feel the cold, than he ran it up my leg, stomach, side until I could feel the cold again which was right below my breasts. I thought it was interesting that not only did I not have movement of my lower body but couldn't feel cold/hot difference as well.
The okay was given and the doctor started making the cut into my stomach. Now was what really strange is the platform they have you on for surgery they actually put on an angle so your head is lower than your feet, also they have huge lights above you and I could see a reflection of what was happening in them. So that's really when I started to freak out, I could see them cutting me open, and hated being on that incline. Devin was so great to calm me down and get me to focus on him and not on the lights up above. Before I knew it the doctor lifted this little person up and over the curtain and said "Congratulations Momma!" It was 7:43 pm. I watched them unravel him from the umbilical cord quite a few times and than he was handed to the nurse. He started screaming right away and had a good healthy cry. Devin went over to see him and capture a few pictures.
He came back to tell me about him, show me pictures but I had been staring at that dang light again and having a really hard time focusing so Devin stayed by me and held my hand. From where Devin was sitting he could see over the curtain and kept telling me how great everything was looking and that they were almost done. I am still surprised that my husband who has the hardest time getting blood drawn watched pretty much the whole C-section happen. It seemed to take forever for them to get everything back into place and I was getting really antsy. The doctor was great at talking to me the whole time helping me feel a little more at ease and explained that the baby's umbilical cord was wrapped around his back and up over his shoulder like a seat belt, than back down around his bum twice and around his feet twice. Pretty much it was acting like his own bungee cord and wouldn't allow for him to drop down anymore which was why I wasn't progressing any further. Also because it was wrapped so many times with each contraction it was squeezing him making his heart rate drop.
The nurse brought over the baby and had Devin hold him, I put my hand under him and got my first glimpse at my son. He was so beautiful and tiny. Soon they were stitching me up and putting the staples in. They transferred me over to the bed again and placed the baby in my arms. Again I couldn't believe how tiny he was and that he was finally here.
We wheeled back in the room and I was so surprised to see my sweet brother Craig in the room with my mom. She had sent out a text to everyone letting them know I was going in for a c-section and although he was on duty (he's a police officer) he got permission from his chief and came right to the hospital. I should also mention that we got a HUGE snow storm that afternoon and the roads were awful and full of wrecks. I was so grateful that although he had plenty of things he should be taking care of that he took the time to come and make sure I was okay. We passed the baby around a little and couldn't get over how much and how dark his hair was. He started to "grunt" as they call it, and the nurse suggested that I nurse the baby and that it helps them stop and relax. Cathy, Kaylynn, and Sierra all left. Craig had to get back to work too so he gave me hug and left as well. I started to feed him and he latched on and was doing great. The nurse came in to check us and I was looking at her when Devin all of a sudden says "I think he's a little blue" I looked down and his whole face/body was blue/purple. Worst and scariest feeling ever. The nurse grabbed him so quick pressed the code blue button and tons of nurses rushed in. They got him revived quickly and he still had a heart beat but had just stopped breathing. They watched him for a little while and decided they needed to take him to the NICU just to make sure he was okay. Devin left with him and it was just me and my mom. Grace had been sent to the NICU as well but this time I was much more relaxed as I had at least been able to hold him for a little bit and saw that he was okay before they took him.
My mom and me visited for a while and was brought up to the recovery room. The nurse taking me up was also the nurse in the surgery room with me and we laughed and said that we better make sure to get good insurance for this kid as he was probably going to be one to get lots of broken bones and be a trouble maker since he was already causing such mischief. We were up in the room for about 2 hours before Devin and the baby came up. I was feeling good and finally done with those awful shakes and got to really hold him and love him and soak in that newborn goodness. We decided on the name Corbin Gene Scallions after getting a good look at him. What was strange was that with the C-section they said his weight of 6 pounds 3 ounces but they didn't ever tell us his length so I didn't find that out until the next day that he was 20.5 inches long.
My mom went home and me and Devin sent the baby to the nursery, we were nervous that with us sleeping he might have another breathing episode and wanted to have someone watching him. Devin had no problem falling asleep as he had only had 3 hours of sleep before going into the hospital but with all the excitement/nerves/shock of the day I could not fall asleep. I watched TV for a while, turned off all the lights and just laid there, and every time the nurse would come in they would ask "why aren't you sleeping?" and I would respond "I wish I was!" They brought the baby in to feed a few times and I loved just holding him and loving on him. The nurse asked if she could give him his first bath and I wanted to watch so I woke Devin up at 5 am and we gave him his first bath. (sorry babe)
He was so sweet to watch and cried and cried during the bath but loved getting his hair washed. He cuddled right up to Devin afterwards and it was a great little moment.
That morning he got circumcised, and the doctor said he didn't even cry during the procedure and he loved the sugar water they give them to help them relax. He did great all day eating and we had tons of visitors.
His sisters came around 10 am went down for lunch in the cafeteria came back up and stayed till around 2 went back to grandma's and came back that night again at 7 to see him. To say that they love him is an understatement. They are both so excited and happy to have him here and are great little helpers, almost too good sometimes.
Devin's friends from school, Rick, Keith and his wife Merium, My friend from work Mechelle and her daughter, my aunt Linda and uncle Mark, and grandma & grandpa Baker, Sindra, Brian, and Andrew & Tiffany all came to visit on Sunday. I was really bad at getting pictures of everyone and I blame it on the fact that I was still in bed and hadn't gotten out as I still had my catheter and IV in.
I got my catheter and IV taken out Sunday night finally and we got a much better sleep that night. Our friend Ashley works in the nursery and even let us go 5 hours between feeding to let us get some extra sleep. It was amazing. However it was finals week this week for Devin so he was off to school and gone all day Monday and Tuesday. I got to just enjoy holding Corbin all day and loved the special bonding time I got with him. Amber came to see him on Monday, and the girls came back with my mom and Melissa Monday night and Carl and my dad came shortly afterwards. On Tuesday Amy came to visit before class, and Sindra and her mom came over to keep me company as my parents had church function they had to be at all night and couldn't come visit. After they left Craig and Samantha showed up and they stayed there pretty much all night (for 3 hours) just talking, laughing and keeping me company. It was so nice to just visit and enjoy seeing them.
Healing from a c-section is much different than a vaginal birth. I've been really surprised with it. Its much more painful than I remember and getting in/out of bed is the worst. They had me walk the halls on Monday night and that wasn't too bad, and anytime we would get behind on my pain medicine I would be hurting so much. I hated sitting in bed so much/often but really hated getting out of bed as it was so much pain so I waited until I absolutely had to before getting out of bed and tried to stay up as long as I could before getting back into bed. It is nice that the bleeding afterwards isn't as bad as they are able to get most of that out while in surgery.
Wednesday came and Devin's cousin Danielle was down in labor and delivery getting induced so we walked down there and visited with them for a minute. Devin went and took Abbie to school and came back with Grace and we were off to head home. Amber brought us some delicious treats for our journey home and I was so grateful as they helped me keep my energy.
We stopped and picked up our breast pump (did you know under Obamacare that insurances are required to give free breast pumps to their patients, I was stoked when I found this out as its a super nice double electric one) and than came home, relaxed, and have just been adjusting to a family of 5 since.
I'm still in shock that I have 3 kids now, but have been loving every moment of getting to know this sweet boy and really love the sweet spirit he has brought into our family already.
1 comment:
Your such a trooper Cam! It breaks my heart I couldn't be there with you too. He's too adorable. Love you so much!
Post a Comment