Thursday, October 9, 2014

Oliver

I'm pretty regular in my work schedule that I always go to lunch around 11:30, well it happened that I didn't get to take my lunch at my normal time and I was driving back to work taking a different route than normal to avoid rush lunch  times and I saw this kitten in the middle of the busy road (4 lanes, 45 MPH speed limit). I pulled over, parked and ran out to try to catch the cat. I chased it in and around cars over into the parking lot and than cornered it against a wall of a garbage can. It darted between my legs and down a drain pipe. I was so upset, called Devin in tears, called the dispatch line to have them tell me there was nothing they could do, called animal control to have them say there are too many stray cats for them to worry about and if the cat was still there in 5-7 days call back. I couldn't believe it, and thus started the 3 day adventure of saving the kitten. 
I went every night for multiple hours, left my family on their own for dinners, and tried multiple ways to get this cat out. It could climb up and out of the drain pipe by itself but I still felt like it didn't deserve a life in the gutter! Finally after buying a cat cage, making a trap with it, multiple cans of tuna fish and a quick hand we caught him! 






 He was so dirty and scared. We washed him up, giving him 3 baths to get him clean and took him into the vet to get checked out. He was healthy (well as healthy as you can be living on the street) and has been the sweetest kitten ever. The vet guesses he is only about 5 weeks old. 



We decided to name him Oliver after Oliver and Company. The girls LOVE him and we have to remind them constantly to be gentle and leave him be at times. He hasn't had one accident, is still pretty timid, and very playful. Him and Trixie love each other and chase each other around the house and around our room all night. 






I guess this proves you don't have to be a single old lady to be a crazy cat lady! 





No comments: